Whether you're building your gym or you've just decided to get yourself a heavy duty exercise machine, you will also need to get an exercise equipment mat. These mats have so much to offer, so you should consider getting a few at least.
The Importance of an Exercise Equipment Mat
Mats for exercise equipment have tons of purposes, making them essential components of your home gym.
A mat's primary function is as a cushion between you and the hard floor. By softening the impact you or your exercise tool and the level, injuries and serious accidents can be prevented. A good equipment mat can do the following to ensure your safety:
- Prevent your equipment from slipping and moving around while you're using it.
- Prevent weight lifting equipment from rolling around and hurting others in the area.
- Cushion falls.
Prevents your flooring from getting damaged
As equipment mats are designed to withstand abuse, it is also great as floor protectors against the heavy weight of your exercise equipment. Their weight combined with your weight and great physical movements while on the machine could easily damage your floor without a protective layer between the equipment and the floor.
It can chip and dig holes on concrete, can scuff and bore into hardwood, and can rip and destroy rugs and carpets over time, so making use of heavy duty mats is necessary if you want your floor in pristine condition despite regular heavy workouts.
Prolongs the life of your exercise equipment
Exercise equipment takes a lot of beating, especially if you use them as often as you should. They're also quite expensive, so taking care of them is essential. To do this, you'll want to minimize the damage they can get from heavy use. Mats are great tools for such needs because they not only protect the floor from the equipment, but it also works as a cushioning for the exercise equipment against the hard floor.
A quality mat can minimize the friction and vibrations, as well as stabilizes the exercise equipment, so it sits securely and comfortably on your gym floor. This minimizes weird angles, bending, and breaking that could happen with ill-placed equipment.
How to Choose an Exercise Equipment Mat
Now that you have a good idea why mats for exercise equipment are necessary for your gym, the next thing you should know is how to buy them. To help you out, here's a step by step guide in how you can accomplish this task.
Know your options.
There are some options when it comes to shopping for an exercise equipment mat, giving you options in what kind of matting you want for your gym. Your options include:
- Rubber are some of the most practical matting options for exercise equipment as they can be durable, affordable, and exceptional in shock and sound absorption. They're perfect for weight lifting equipment and heavy cardio equipment. They're easy to clean and find, making them even more ideal for home users. The only drawback for this flooring material is that finding colored ones can be a challenged as they are often made from recycled tires.
- Carpet is deemed as the most popular flooring option in the US, even in gyms. Being inexpensive and easy to clean and maintain, they can also serve as matting options for your exercise equipment. Low pile and commercial carpets are more ideal for this purpose, though, as they are more durable and have tight knit loops.
- Vinyl is also sometimes used as a matting material for exercise equipment. While it is affordable, durable, resistant to chemicals, and easy to clean, it's not necessarily as useful as rubber and carpet regarding shock absorption.
Determine which kind of mat it is that you need
After learning your different options, the next thing you need to decide is which type of mat will prove to be more beneficial for you. Consider the kinds of exercise equipment that you'll be bringing in, the nature of workouts that you'll be doing, and the area you'll be putting your gym in. These are important factors that can help you decide which mat will work best for you, so make sure to be thorough about this step.
Measure your gym
Matting materials are typically sold by the square foot, so you'll need an exact measurement to make sure that you'll get everything you need to be covered. This will also help you make sure that you won't be wasting another mat, as that can be quite costly.
Determine the area that needs to be covered with the mat and measure it correctly. Keep the measurements on hand, so you can quickly use it as the reference when you shop around.
Shop around and compare prices
There are so many choices when it comes to exercise equipment mats, so you can be sure to find them differently priced. Shop around and analyze prices from various vendors, so you can be sure to find the best figures in the market.
Keep in mind, though, that going for the cheapest products will be your best move. You get what you pay for when it comes to these items, so always make sure to get a high-quality item for a good price instead of going cheap and ending up with a cheap piece.
Buy and install
Once you've found a vendor that will provide the suitable matting products for your exercise equipment, all you need to do is to buy, get them home, and install. Some rubber mats can be very thick, so make sure to arrange appropriate transportation to get them home.
If you could have them delivered and installed by your vendor, take advantage of the offer, especially if installing them will require you to move exercise equipment around. If such an option is not available, at least ask a friend to help you out.
Using an exercise equipment mat in your gym is highly recommended to ensure safety more than anything else.